According to John Owen, co-founder of JetBlue and investor at De-Ice, “the best way to save money for an airline is to run a reliable, on-time schedule, and current-state de-icing makes this impossible.”
De-Ice is an MIT spin-out that’s developed an electric de-icing solution that will solve this problem. This eliminates the need for the aircraft to hold on the ground for 30-45 minutes or more while workers in bucket trucks spray heated toxic fluids on the aircraft.
If you’re passionate about aviation, engineering, and solving difficult problems join our team to take a big step towards making flying sustainable for everyone.
The Engineering Program Manager will be responsible for working hand-in-hand with engineering team and its leadership in order to support product development and certification effort; help manage industry partners, suppliers and contractor relationships; and ensure on-time, on-budget, and on-spec delivery of major subsystems.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of bringing complex technical projects to fruition on-time and on-budget, as well as a solid engineering or physics background. The candidate should be a generalist, comfortable with highly cross-functional teams, have excellent communication skills, and be comfortable taking full ownership of ambiguous projects and decisions.
- Work closely with engineering leadership on product development, certification, manufacturing, and aircraft integration
- Provide supplier oversight of critical components and systems through certification and into production
- Lead the effort to coordinate team and supplier interactions including supplier design and program reviews
- Assist leadership in holding the team and suppliers to schedule to ensure program deliverables, timelines and budgets are met
- Facilitate communications between the De-Ice technical team and suppliers including review and direct contribution to technical communications
- Help develop and maintain relationships between engineering, certification, and supply chain stakeholders
- Track and manage manufacturing partners’ performance across prototyping and production ramp-up
- Work with engineering and leadership to quickly resolve complex technical and operational challenges
- Support system-level design and integration across firmware, hardware, software, and electromechanical development efforts and related processes
- This role reports directly to the founders and top executives at the company
- 5 years or more of professional experience in a complex technical field, with multidisciplinary experience required
- Experience in an open-ended start-up or NPI environment required
- Proven track record for driving initiatives cross-functionally within a company required
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in engineering or physics required
- Experience working with talented engineering teams and co-coordinating with interdisciplinary teams required
- Strong technical communications capability including the ability to refine engineering reports for external use required
- Experience interfacing with external partners and coordinating work between internal and external teams required
- Ability to thrive in ambiguity and a rapid growth environment required
- Experience with developing electrical systems and hardware preferred
- Familiarity with FAA Part 25 certification and DO-160G qualification requirements preferred
- Energetic, driven, creative, and able to respond to unforeseen challenges and conditions
We’re a flat organization run by engineers and physicists where creative thinking is just as important as analytical prowess. We are looking for people who share our passion for solving hard problems and collaborative invention.
De-Ice is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on ground of race, gender, age, or sexual orientation. De-Ice offers competitive compensation, including salary, stock options, and benefits.
Interested candidates should email firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume enclosed.